In Bathroom Part 2, we left off with the new subfloors in place and about half the new paint on the walls. It was now time for new floors and moulding!
I want to apologize in advance for not having more/better pics for this part of the process. There is some good info in this phase and, hopefully, when we do our other bathroom and repeat the process I can get some pics of that and add them to this post. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a message. Sorry again, I will get better at this!
Awhile back, Hubby and I had replaced the flooring in our kitchen and entryway. We’d found this amazing Pergo flooring that actually looks like tile so we just ordered enough to also redo the flooring in both our bathrooms. Pergo makes dozens of styles of flooring, but only a few that don’t look like wood. Our choices were limited, but after far too much research we’d decided to go with Pergo and they happened to have one that fit our style. It looks amazing and people don’t believe me when I tell them it is just Pergo.
When we were ready to do the floor in the bathroom, we already had the flooring on hand and some experience laying it down.
The hard part was the underlayment; 2 layers of it before the actual flooring could go down. First we rolled out a layer of black plastic moisture barrier and cut it to fit as exactly as we could. This included around the toilet flange (so much fun working with your face near a hole that literally connects to the sewer! Yes, we stuffed a towel down it to prevent sewer gasses from leaking into the house, but still: just EWW!)
The second layer was this foamy stuff for sound dampening that we also had to roll out and cut to fit, but with the added bonus of not shifting the first layer of black plastic while we did it… That done, we could finally get onto the actual flooring!
Wasting no time once the underlayments were down (heaven forbid they should shift while we were taking a break!), we started laying out the boards and within an hour we had floors!! Still not done yet though … This flooring is only watertight on the TOP and we just installed it in the room with our ONLY shower. We needed to get our mouldings in and get those edges sealed up with 100% silicone (really freaking hate silicone…)
So this is how it went. We measured each wall and drew a little diagram of the room shape with the distance marked for each wall and little marks indicating each corner. It looks something like this:
I then took the diagram out to the garage to start making the cuts. Here are some tips when cutting moulding:
- Measure twice, cut once. (long used rule of cutting)
- Our own extension of #1: Better to cut it too long than too short. I always make the first cut about 1/8″ too long. I normally have to head back out to the chop saw to take off that 1/8′, but most of the time it is only a 1/16 and a few times it saved my butt because my measurement was short.
- Always cut and install the moulding around your door frame FIRST. You want those lengths to be one solid piece, whereas the moulding running along the flooring can be multiple pieces if needed. Also, you need those mouldings in place so you can get an EXACT measure of the distance between their edge and the adjacent wall. (see pic below)
- 45 degree angles can be tough to get right at first. Having an image like this to help you visualize the cut you need is SUPER helpful.
- Remember that the measurement you take is the BACK SIDE of the board (wall distance). This is also helpful when trying get those 45 degree angles just right.
I measured and cut the moulding to go around the door, hubby and I lined it up and used our nail gun attached to a compressor to get them up quick and easy. Then we took the last couple measurements we needed (distance between the door moulding and the adjacent walls) and I headed out to the garage while Hubby filled the gap between the edge of the flooring and the wall with 100% silicone. From there is was about 100 trips up and down the stairs as we cut boards, tested them, recut and then nailed them in over the drying silicone. By the time we were finished we had created a nice water tight seal around all the edges of the flooring.
In front of the tub we used a miniature version of our wall moulding (that we just happened to find at our Home Depot) that was made out of PVC. We siliconed the gap between the floor and the tub, put silicone all over the back of the moulding piece and stuck it to the tub (we couldn’t nail it into place or we would have been nailing into our tub…) Then for good measure we put some weight in front of it and on top of it to make sure it dried to a good tight seal.
One we had all the moulding in place Hubby set to work installing the new toilet (more silicone along the edges of the flooring around the flange), and I measured and cut the top moulding for the door frame before hubby helped me nail it up.
A few hours later we had a new toilet and the silicone had cured enough that we both got our first real shower in 3 days!!! (Seriously, I was about to take a bar of soap out on the front lawn and get-er-done with the garden hose!)
Yay for flooring! Yay for moulding! Yay for a toilet (that wasn’t two sets of stairs away from my room)
YAY YAY YAY for a shower!
This was our bathroom at the end of day 3! Not bad!
Our new toilet! (Yay for a toilet that doesn’t burp yellow goo all over my floors!)
More on this project: